PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Patio Panel Sliding Glass Door Review
In case you’re unable to install a dog door to your front or back door, and you don’t want to mount it to a wall – there’s one more solution which might save you some time.
Door installation shouldn’t be frustrating. After all, you do it once, and you won’t have to do it ever again. Unless you decide to upgrade or install two of them.
PetSafe Freedom is one of the easiest dog doors I’ve ever installed and it’s definitely one of my favorite. However, there’s one catch.
You need to have sliding glass doors to be able to use PetSafe Freedom dog door. If you do, this is the perfect dog door and here’s why.
- It’s one of the easiest dog doors to install. All you have to do is simply slide this panel in one end of your glass sliding door. But of course, you should secure it to the frame and make sure that you don’t forget to add weather stripping. However, there’s no cutting or whatsoever involved.
- The perfect solution for rental homes. Since the installation doesn’t require any cutting or drilling, you can install it and remove it anytime you want. And you can take it with you whenever it’s necessary.
- They’re weather resistant even though they look simple. It’s a durable aluminum frame that comes with weather stripping and even slide-in closing for better weather resistance.
- Fits both left and right sliding glass door of different size dimensions from 78.61 to 81 inches tall.
- Flap openings come in different sizes as well and can handle dogs and pets up to 100 pounds of weight.
- Different materials used. It features an aluminum frame, tempered glass, has a magnetic closure, and top height and flap height adjustment.
- Comes in three different colors. That way, you will be able to match the color of your glass sliding door.
- Measurement is made easy. Just by measuring the width and height of your pet, you will be able to determine which size door you need
- Both large and large-tall dog sizes are available. It’s suitable for the smallest pets and dogs, but also the bigger ones
- It’s suitable for even the worst weather conditions
- Features magnetic flap closing for the best efficiency
- The lock mechanism can be installed separately to prevent your dogs from going out in the middle of a night, for example
- Installation is simple and can be installed or removed any time in a matter of minutes
- Video instructions as a guide for the easiest installation possible
- Customer service available 24/7 to resolve any questions and issues
- Price is very reasonable for the value it offers
- There is no isolation between the glass and aluminum frame which is a bit of an energy leak
- Once you install patio glass door, you can no longer lock your glass door
- Packaging isn’t the best and could be a bit improved for future shipments as it came a bit ripped around the corners, however, the product wasn’t damaged
Although PetSafe Freedom dog door has some disadvantages, it offers a lot of benefits and it’s definitely a great solution for many people out there.
If you are looking for temporary pet doors, or seasonal pet doors, this is the perfect option. However, it’s also suitable for the long term that doesn’t require a lot of time and energy for the installation process.
I really like how the installation process is made simple and that I can take them out anytime if I need to. For example, in case you don’t want to allow your pets outside at night, you have two options. Either install lock mechanism for the flap door or remove them and put them back up first thing in the morning.
They might not be the most energy efficient just like other types would be, but considering how useful and how easy to install they are, it’s definitely a no-brainer situation.
Another thing that I really like is how they have made it so simple to choose the needed size, and that they even come in different sizes available. Not only sizes but also tall and low dimensions as well.
They’re one of the simplest solutions on the market for sure, but also they might be one of the most affordable pet doors too.
The only thing is that you need to have a sliding glass door in order to install them. If you don’t, you will have to look for other types of pet doors.
There aren’t many manufacturers that produce this type of pet door, however, there are still quite a few alternatives in case you might not think PetSafe Freedom pet doors are suitable for you.
Another good manufacturer would be Ideal Pet, and they have one very similar pet door for sale. Ideal Pet Modular Patio Pet Door is almost the same as PetSafe Freedom pet doors.
Of course, they have some differences which might or might not be suitable for you. However, it’s definitely a solution which is worth to check out if you like the idea of patio type pet doors.
Another alternative to a similar patio type pet door comes from the same brand and it’s the Ideal Pet Fast Fit Patio Pet Door.
In case you’d like to get a bigger size of the same PetSafe Freedom pet door, check out their another version which is called PetSafe 2-Piece Sliding Glass Pet Door.
Other than that, you might look into other pet door types such as electric or
If you were thinking about getting a pet door for glass sliding patio doors, I’d say go for it.
It’s one of the simplest and easiest pet doors you can get, and you won’t regret it. PetSafe Freedom pet door offers a lot for the price it costs, and you will definitely get the most value of it for the price you’ll pay.
I like to think of this type of pet door as a portable pet door since the installation isn’t fixed and can be removed and put back on within a minute.
For the value it offers, the price is very reasonable and there’s no excuse why you wouldn’t get your pet door installed tomorrow!
Cover Photo by Flickr – eqkrishena