Choosing The Best Dog Door Like The Pet Care Experts
Are you a proud dog owner? If you are, then you take your role as a dog caretaker very seriously. You always make sure your canine friend is well-provided for. From providing your dog with a healthy diet plan to dressing your dog up for fun, your priority is the welfare of your dog.
As a member of your extended family, your dog needs to be free to roam everywhere inside or outside the house. To ensure your dog’s safety, you need to install a dog door on your house door.
A dog would appreciate the freedom of its own door, and a dog door will make your life easier. It will encourage your dog to do its business outside, and allows your dog to easily enter or exit the home without leaving the door open. Also known as a pet door, a dog door has more uses than just an entrance for your pet.
A dog door in your home can also act as a make-shift insulator. It allows air to travel throughout your house, effectively regulating the quality of airflow in your home.
Choosing the best dog door for your pet shouldn’t be a hassle, as long as you have the patience and the willingness to cater to your dog’s need to explore.
How to Choose the Best Dog Door
Plastic vs. Metal
Plastic dog doors have become common in the market today due to their sturdiness and lightness, but for more durability consider metal dog doors. You should also consider the comfort of your dog. Will it hurt your dog if he bumps his head into a metal dog door? Or, is it safe for your dog to push through a metal dog door?
Before you even shop for a dog door, first determine the size of your dog. You don’t want your dog to get stuck in the pet door attempting to get out of the house. Dog doors come in many sizes, so be sure to measure your dog first. Consider the height if your dog and the width of its shoulders since they will use their head and shoulders to squeeze through the dog door.
Dog doors may look simple, but once you start shopping for the best dog door, you’ll notice manufacturers pack many features in one dog door. Choose the dog door that includes features you will need in the future. Don’t be blinded by the technological gizmos. If you need a simple dog door, then get a simple dog door.
What to Look for in a Dog Door:
A typical homeowner usually doesn’t have any technical experience in assembling a dog door, so an ideal dog door comes with simple parts that are easy to assemble. Before purchasing a dog door, make sure that it comes with a comprehensive instruction manual to guide you through the entire installation process.
Dog doors are typically made of either aluminum or plastic. Before you choose which type to purchase, make sure you understand the advantages and disadvantages of each. Plastic, for instance, can be flimsy and susceptible to wear while aluminum tends to expand and contract depending on temperature. Above all else, make sure that your dog door is made of durable, long lasting material.
The best dog doors have electronic functionalities that can ensure the security of your home. When possible, get a dog door that incorporates sensor tags and other high-tech qualities.
Your dog door should accommodate your pet comfortably. If it’s not a perfect fit, then it won’t be useful. Don’t get a door smaller than your pet because this will only render it useless. Also, don’t get one that’s also too large for your pet since you’ll only be wasting money and space. Pay attention to size.
|PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Patio Panel Sliding Glass Pet Door||$$||4.3/5|
|Ideal Pet Products Ruff-Weather Pet Door with Telescoping Frame||$$||4.6/5|
|BarksBar Original Plastic Dog Door With Aluminum Lining||$||4.6/5|
|SureFlap Microchip Pet Door||$$||4.1/5|
|TAKARA INDUSTRY Pet Dog Door for Screens||$||4.1/5|
|Dog Mate Small Dog Door White||$||4.4/5|
|Patio Pacific – Endura Flap Wall Mount pet door||$$$||4.3/5|
|Perfect Pet The All-Weather Energy Efficient Dog Door||$$$||4.4/5|
|PetSafe Wall Entry Aluminum Pet Doors||$||4.5/5|
|Ideal Pet Products Original Pet Door with Telescoping Frame||$||4.6/5|
The Top 5 Dog Doors
Remarkably, these five are the best doggie doors you’ll be sorry not to check them out. The best pet doors in the market today. Without further a do.
PetSafe Freedom Patio Panel Pet Door
As an industry leader in the US for over 20 years, PetSafe made a name for themselves by providing quality pet products.
Today, we’ll be testing out one of PetSafe’s premium product: the PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Patio Panel Sliding Glass Pet Door. This unit promises a flexible and efficient way of installing and maintaining a pet door.
- 76 13/16” x 81” heavy-duty aluminum patio panel doors
- Customizable, comes in three colors and four pet sizes
- Easy to install and adjustable, no need for cutting
- Magnetic closure for additional security
- Comes with a ultra-seal flexible tinted flap for secure locking
- Comes with durable aluminum framed for weather resistance
- Comes with a glass sweep and a closing panel
- Easy to install – You can easily install it in your sliding door without any power tools.You’ll have a functioning pet door in under 15 minutes. This is also ideal for pet owners who are just looking for a temporary pet door and don’t want it being part of the house’s aesthetics, as it can be easily removed and stored. Even if you’re not handy, you can easily follow the instructions included in the unit.
- Comfortable door sizes – It doesn’t matter if you own a Chihuahua or an Aussie, the Freedom Patio Panel Pet Door can accommodate dogs of all sizes. The space is comfortable enough for any dog to squeeze in through. Just make sure you measure your dog before choosing the right door size.
Some customers noted the locking features failed to work, especially in windy places. The magnetic enclosure can’t withstand winds of up to 55 mph. Also, the flap occasionally bends leaving a crack of around an inch. Some users also reported that the rubber stripping on their Freedom Patio Panel Pet Door didn’t last very long.
The Freedom Patio Panel Pet Door isn’t without faults, but considering how convenient it is to install and the comfort it can provide for your pet, it is worth the asking price.
The Freedom Patio Panel Pet Door appeals to the outgoing pet lover who wants to provide their pet freedom. It can also appeal to stylish homeowners who don’t want to sacrifice aesthetics for convenience.
Ideal Pet Ruff-Weather Pet Door
The Ruff-Weather Pet Door is looking to save you energy costs with its energy-efficient features. It’s designed to allow an air pocket of up to 3 inches between two soft flaps.
Together with the available wall tunnel kit, the air pocket can even grow to a maximum of 9 inches, making it an efficient insulator.
- Durable and weather-resistant pet door
- Made from structural foammolded plastic
- Comes with an inner telescoping frame
- Comes with an optional wall tunnel kit for additional efficiency
- Specially designed to include an efficient air pocket
- Energy-efficient and cost-saving design
- Easy to install and secure
- Soft and clear vinyl-insulated flaps
- Can support up to 150 lbs. of weight
- Efficient – This product can be considered an insulator, and in this area, the Ruff-Weather proves its worth. The pet door’s flap system does great to prevent heat leaks as theair gets trapped in between the two soft flaps. It also helps that the flaps are surrounded by a short brush to seal off the air around the plastic every time you close the pet door.
- Easy to secure – Securing the Ruff-Weather Pet Door is easy thanks to its metal bolts. Most manufacturers use plastic bolts to secure their pet doors which turn off most costumers. Ideal Pet took note of this issue with the Ruff-Weather Pet Door, making its structure sturdier than other pet doors. The metal bolts attach to metal threads, ensuring a lifetime of durability with reasonable usage.
The Ruff-Weather’s resistance to extreme weather is questionable. Some users have reported rainwaterleaking during heavy rains.
Water can seep into the plastic frame between its storm flaps which forms a small crease for the water to get through. Be prepared to wipe the floor when it’s raining outside.
The Ruff-Weather pet door proved its durability and its thermal capabilities while also catering to your pet’s comfort. If you’re looking for the best pet door for your massive dog or your petite feline friend, Ruff-Weather Pet Door will deliver.
Weather concerns may strike doubt to its capabilities, but if you’re willing to work around its design flaws, you’ll get a pet door that could last a lifetime.
SureFlap Microchip Pet Door
The main selling point of the SureFlap Microchip Pet Door is its security feature that identifies whom your pet is, preventing other animals from entering the pet door. This futuristic pet door uses a unique identification microchip technology that identifies the RFID collar tag of your pet.
- Equipped with unique identification microchip technology
- Identifies your pet and prevents other animals from entering your home
- Comes with a free SureFlap RFID collar tag
- Compatible with various microchip formats
- Can store up to 32 unique IDs in memory
- Includes a Curfew Mode to schedule locking and unlocking
- Runs on 4 C-cell batteries each sold separately
- Easy to program with a few buttons
- Can be installed on doors, walls, and windows
- Feature-heavy – The technology behind the SureFlap Microchip Pet Door is as good as it claims to be. The pet door is easy to set up. Although it will take a while for you to install it, once installed, all you need is a few buttons pressed and you’ll be good to go. The pet door accurately reads the RFID tags on your pets, and no one has experienced any delays. The Curfew Mode is also a hit with the customers. It is easy to set up and the pet door opens and closes at the scheduled time.
- Durable – SureFlap Microchip Pet Door is incredibly tough. This pet door is hard to open, and this can either be a good thing or bad thing for your dog.But, we can agree that this proves its durability. Animals with no RFID tags won’t have access to the door, as proven by SureFlap’s numerous tests.
Most complaints came from pet owners who had a hard time teaching their pets how to use the pet door. They were saying their pets are having a hard time familiarizing themselves with this complex pet contraption. You might spend weeks trying to get your pet to push through the door since the pet door doesn’t automatically open from the inside.
If you want a high-tech pet door for your home, the SureFlap Microchip Pet Door should meet your standards and more. Its identification technology is useful and its tough structure provides the best combination of automation and convenience.
There could be a huge learning curve when it comes to teaching your pet, but once you’re past that, this pet door will make life a little bit easier for you and your pet.
BarksBar Premium Dog Door
As a leading provider of quality pet products, BarksBar aims to give pet owners luxury in taking care of their pets. Part of their extensive lineup of pet products is the BarksBar Premium Dog Door.
The product boasts a number of unique features, including its heavy-duty flaps, its impact-resistant telescopic frame, and its securelocking mechanism.
- Soft and flexible vinyl flaps
- Durable, bite-proof and scratch-proof
- Weatherproof structure
- White plastic and aluminum lining
- Impact-resistant telescopic frame
- Comes with sliding door panel
- Comes with magnetic closure
- Customizable flap sizes
- Easy to install
- Supports up to 100 lbs.
- Timeless Design – If you’re worried about a dog door ruining the aesthetics of your home, this dog door won’t pose a problem. You can even install it on your bedroom door and it will perfectly blend into your motif.
- Durable – The dog door has metal reinforcements on all four sides for a tougher exterior. You can even install it in a wall and it won’t make any difference compared to when you install it in a door. One thing’s for sure: the materials used in this dog door don’t feel cheap. If you want a tough dog door for your rowdy pet, BarksBar Premium Dog Door should be at the top of your list.
Some customers reported that the dog door rusts faster than other dog doors. In rough weather conditions, condensation builds up on the flaps freezing them and rusting the screws. Customers also complained about the flaps not closing correctly during storms and rainwater can easily get to their floors.
One word to best describe the BarksBar Premium Dog Door is durable. The materials are sturdy and it’s hard to find a tough dog door that is also easy to install.
If you’re looking for a durable dog door with the least amount of maintenance, this dog door should be your best bet. The locking feature and the durable flaps should also add more reasons for you to choose BarksBar as your best doggie door.
Takara Pet Dog Door
The Takara Pet Dog Door markets itself as a convenient dog door for large dogs. No fancy technology to work around, no additional parts to be added. It’s just your good old fashioned dog door. The Takara Pet Dog Door boasts an easy-to-install structure, a hinged flap for a wider range of swing, a magnetic closure for added security, and an opening that looks to accommodate large dogs.
- Easy to install using only basic tools
- Comes with screws made from stainless steel
- Comes with a screened flap for a wider swing range
- Comes with a magnetic closure for added security
- 13 5/8” x 12 1/4” door opening
- Can support up to 80 lbs. of weight
- Easy to install – It would take you around 15 minutes to install this dog door.Even though the manual is in Japanese, the accompanying pictures are easy enough to follow. If you don’t mind working with screwdrivers and knives, installing the Takara Pet Dog Door shouldn’t be a problem.
- Comfortable – It can easily support big dogs. It also helps that the flap is sturdy enough for a dog to push through without hurting its head. You can even train your dog to use its paws and the pet door easily swings open. The wide swing range of the flap is a bonus for large dog owners who want to train their pets in the proper use of pet doors.
One critical flaw of the Takara Pet Dog Door is its magnetic closure. Some users reported that the magnetic closure that comes with the pet door isn’t powerful enough to secure the flap.
Intense winds will easily knock the pet door open.So, if you’re the type of homeowner who doesn’t want any dirt or bug on your floor, buy this pet door with extreme caution.
If you’re looking for a basic pet door without the bell and whistles, then Takara Pet Dog Door should be your top pick. Compared to other pet doors on the market, this pet door seems to be the simplest, but it accomplishes its function as a pet door surprisingly well.
It can even accommodate large animals of up to 80 lbs., so it’s safe to assume this pet door is enough for your pet door needs.